Monday, December 6, 2021

December 6, 1989

On December 6, 1989, I was putting my tool belt in my locker at school. I was in my second year of CEGEP and studying technical theatre. We were putting together our winter theatre production and my role for this semester was electrician- a job that I loved. It challenged me both mentally and physically. I was the only female on the crew and proud of it. It was a tough job- something that I had never expected to do in the past- but I enjoyed learning new skills, having a great time and felt that the world was at my feet.


Someone came into our locker room and said that there had been a shooting at the Polytechnique at the Université de Montréal. A man went into classrooms and shot students. News in 1989 wasn't the same as now and information came out slowly. I went home to my grandmother frantically trying to reach me on the telephone... she heard was that there was a shooting... in a technical program... and that women had died. 


On December 6, 1989, 14 women went to school to study engineering. They felt challenged both mentally and physically. They were the future of engineering and proud of it. It was a tough program- something they may not have expected to do in the past- but they were enjoying learning new skills, having a great time and felt that the world was at their feet. 


I came home to a phone call... they did not come home.


I will always remember....




2 comments:

  1. Sikke en historie - ja, man ved aldrig hvad strå man trækker. Jeg er også taknemmelig hver dag :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Du har så ret! Vi ved aldrig, hvad livet vil bringe os, så vi skal være taknemmelige for hver dag xox

      Delete