Wednesday, September 2, 2020

First day of school in 2020.... the me edition

 Here we go..... πŸ˜‰

Yes, I did some online teaching when we shut down in March but, now, it is the real thing. All undergraduate classes are online for this semester but I still have to go in to work with my Master's and PhD students face to face. Honestly, as much as I like the challenge and variation of online teaching, I find it hard to connect with the students, especially when I have a large class and have to scroll page by page to see what is going on. I enjoy the eye to eye contact and the spontaneous communication/discussion. Now, it feels much more "organized" to ask a question (ie: clicking on the raise hand icon/using chat or trying to find who just said something), which can be a bit intimidating for the students. Also, they are not obliged to put their video on so, sometimes, teaching to a bunch of black boxes feels like talking to my kids when they are watching Youtube videos on their phone (ie: no interaction πŸ˜‰). Plus, I had to change all my evaluation methods to suit online delivery... hope it all works out!

Anyway, we are back and I am looking forward to some sort of routine. I missed my job and those I work with. Keeping fingers crossed that my internet remains somewhat stable and I don't provide any entertaining background adventures for my students πŸ˜‰

xox









1 comment:

  1. That's what I missed most about my work, being around each other, testing ideas, making plans.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete