Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Musings from the home office: the travel edition

I miss travelling... I really do! Last summer, trips to the Netherlands, England and Spain ended up on the chopping block. In some way, as disappointed that I was to not travel, there was pleasure in staying home. We managed to get stuff done that we have been putting off for years (gardening, our deck, putting up a gazebo, making our backyard cosy...). We did a local houseboat trip with some good friends (responsibly distanced, of course!). It ended up being a good summer, despite all! 

This year, we are hoping to salvage the Spain voyage and I have a work trip to Milan in July (with an intended pit stop in England to visit friends and family) but I have to admit that I am not optimistic. I longingly look at pictures of Copenhagen and dream of visiting my friends there. To be more realistic, we even started to think about some more travels to the US (thinking Pittsburg and Atlanta to visit the boys' football shrines) and perhaps Washington DC (just because we have seen so much of it on TV lately) but, at the moment, the border is still solidly shut. I would still be OK to stay home but the novelty of hanging out in our own backyard is overshadowed by wanderlust. Also, Alexander will be 17 this year so I am not sure how many more years that we will have to travel as a family of 5. 

Anyway, as the recent philosophy seems to be, we will adapt and take it all in stride. Having said that, I hope that our strides will take us across some borders... even if they are regional or provincial. In the mean time, I will keep enjoying my Youtube videos, travel channels and- pathetically- Google maps. See you on my travels ;)

Happy Wednesday <3



Random internet picture... random but so appropriate ;)



2 comments:

  1. Hørt! Jeg savner simpelthen også at rejse. Håber, håber, håber man måske kan til efteråret, men tør ikke tro det. Uanset hvad der 'åbner' op først, som er sikkert at besøge, skal jeg til. Jeg er ikke spor kræsen med rejsemål nu ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are hoping for another summer in our caravan and hopefully thailand next winter, that would be awesome. But dreaming is also nice and we keep doing that until its safe to travel again ;)

    ReplyDelete